I was recently asked to take part in a “main character blog tour” by Sherri Matthews from A View From My Summer House blog. Well, how could I refuse? In order to join in I need to answer a number of questions regarding a character from a work in progress. So, I would like you to meet one of the main characters from my follow-up to Second Chance. Readers of Second Chance will recognise the name, but the character has a much larger role in the sequel. Anyway, rather than spoil things, let me introduce you to:
1. What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person?
Michael “Mick” O’Driscoll. He is very much a fictional character.
2. When and where is the story set?
The story is set in both the US and the UK of the near future. The ravages of climate change are in the past but the price of overcoming what was known as the Upheaval is still being paid, though not in ways you may expect.
3. What should we know about him/her?
He is known as the King of the Scrambles, an area of the city where the law turns a blind eye to illegality, as long as it doesn’t go too far.
4. What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?
The brother of a senior government minister is found dead in a seedy hotel in the Scrambles and O’Driscoll finds himself the prime suspect in the following murder investigation, led by Nico Tandelli.
5. What is the personal goal of the character?
He wants to become respectable and convert his organisation into a legitimate business. But to control the organisation he needs to be feared, forcing him to act in ways that drive this goal ever further from his grasp.
6. Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it?
7. When can we expect the book to be published?
I’m aiming for it to be available in the Autumn this year. I’ll know better how achievable this is after the first edit!